Courage and Bravery
WE GATHER LIGHT TO SCATTER.
When the Fraternity was founded in 1918, the pink rose was one of the rarest flowers. It was because of this novelty that the pink rose came to be considered a very special flower.
In the same respect, the Fraternity is also very special for there is only one Upsilon Sigma Phi.
By: Rudyard Kipling
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you, If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you, but make allowance for their doubting too; If you can wait and not be tired by waiting, or being lied about, don’t deal in lies, Or being hated, don’t give way to hating, and yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:
If you can dream — and not make dreams your master; if you can think — and not make thoughts your aim, If you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two impostors just the same; If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools, Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken, and stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:
If you can make one heap of all your winnings and risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss, And lose, and start again at your beginnings and never breathe a word about your loss; If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew to serve your turn long after their are gone, And so hold on when there is nothing in you except the will which says to them: “hold on!”
If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue, or walk with kings — nor lose the common touch, It neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you, if all men count with you, but none too much; If you can fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds’ worth of distance run, Yours is the earth and everything that’s in it, and — which is more — you’ll be a man my son!
THE UPSILON CREDO
I am an Upsilonian and proud of it.
I cherish the sincere fellowship of my fraternity brothers because they consider me an upright, self-respecting man capable of growth and greater service to my fellowmen.
I appreciate the efforts of the Upsilon Sigma Phi in helping create a climate conducive to learning and progress in the University of the Philippines; to economic stability and political maturity in the Republic of the Philippines, realizing that only then can a dream of one world be attained.
I revere the fine traditions of the Upsilon Sigma Phi. Its abiding faith and loyalty to the ideals of my alma mater and my country suffuse me with courage. Its ideals of peace and freedom for all peoples give me hope and strength. Its spirit of self-negation for the greater good, of oneness in victory or in defeat of mutual aid and affection, inspires and humbles me.
May I prove myself worthy of all these that the Upsilon Sigma Phi stands for, and be a tried and true Upsilonian.
UPSILON SIGMA PHI VIDEOS
100 Novembers – A Tribute to the 14 Founders of the Upsilon Sigma Phi
“On behalf of Batch 86, the USP Centennial Commission and the USPAA, with a heart full of pride, I present you The 100 Novembers.” – Mike Sandejas ‘91
Upsilonians Noble & Outstanding (Uno) Awards
UPSILON SIGMA PHI
90th year video tribute
Upsilon Sigma Phi 90th Anniversary
Photo of brods through the years.
Upsilon Remembers Ninoy
August 18, 2009 – A “24 Oras” news feature about Ninoy Aquino being remembered by his fraternity brothers at Upsilon Sigma Phi.
The Fellowship of the Light
Upsilon Sigma Phi short film by Mike Sandejas ’91
A bond tested by time.
For a century, the Upsilon Sigma Phi has been a symbol of excellence in the University of the Philippines. Our fine traditions, passed down through generations, have welded us together like true and tempered steel.
For 100 years, Upsilon has produced upright and self-respecting men capable of growth and greater service to our alma mater and country.
The years cannot break us.
UPSILON SIGMA PHI SONGS
- Upsilon Sigma Phi Hymns and Songs
- 01.http://220.127.116.11/wp-content/uploads/02-Upsilon-March.mp3Upsilon MarchDick ZamoraThe Music of Dick Zamora1:19s51audio/mpeg100
- 02.http://18.104.22.168/wp-content/uploads/01-Ama-Namin.mp3Ama NaminDick ZamoraThe Music of Dick Zamora2:17s31audio/mpeg100
- 03.http://22.214.171.124/wp-content/uploads/03-Aloyan_s-Lullaby.mp3Aloyan's LullabyDick ZamoraThe Music of Dick Zamora3:19s33audio/mpeg100
- 04.http://126.96.36.199/wp-content/uploads/04-Once-Upon-a-Dream.mp3Once Upon a DreamDick ZamoraThe Music of Dick Zamora3:38s34audio/mpeg100
- 05.http://188.8.131.52/wp-content/uploads/06-When-You_re-Away.mp3When You're AwayDick ZamoraThe Music of Dick Zamora3:49s36audio/mpeg100
- 06.http://184.108.40.206/wp-content/uploads/07-When-You_re-Away-UPSA.mp3When You're Away (UPSA)Dick ZamoraThe Music of Dick Zamora3:33s37audio/mpeg100
- 07.http://220.127.116.11/wp-content/uploads/08-Sa-Mga-Pangarap-Giliw.mp3Sa Mga Pangarap GiliwDick ZamoraThe Music of Dick Zamora4:16s38audio/mpeg100
- 08.http://18.104.22.168/wp-content/uploads/09-Tunay-Na-Pag-ibig.mp3Tunay Na Pag-ibigDick ZamoraThe Music of Dick Zamora2:56s39audio/mpeg100
- 09.http://22.214.171.124/wp-content/uploads/10-Pag-ibig-Ba_y-Ganito_.mp3Pag-ibig Ba'y Ganito?Dick ZamoraThe Music of Dick Zamora2:26s40audio/mpeg100
- 10.http://126.96.36.199/wp-content/uploads/11-Moon-and-the-Music.mp3Moon and the MusicDick ZamoraThe Music of Dick Zamora2:26s41audio/mpeg100
- 11.http://188.8.131.52/wp-content/uploads/12-Soñe.mp3SoñeDick ZamoraThe Music of Dick Zamora2:28s42audio/mpeg100
- 12.http://184.108.40.206/wp-content/uploads/13-Que-Mas_.mp3Que Mas?Dick ZamoraThe Music of Dick Zamora3:27s43audio/mpeg100
- 13.http://220.127.116.11/wp-content/uploads/14-Dream-With-Me.mp3Dream With MeDick ZamoraThe Music of Dick Zamora2:00s44audio/mpeg100
- 14.http://18.104.22.168/wp-content/uploads/15-In-the-Hastening-Evening.mp3In the Hastening EveningDick ZamoraThe Music of Dick Zamora4:08s45audio/mpeg100
- 15.http://22.214.171.124/wp-content/uploads/16-Walis-ni-Tenteng.mp3Walis ni TentengDick ZamoraThe Music of Dick Zamora2:41s46audio/mpeg100
- 16.http://126.96.36.199/wp-content/uploads/17-Bakit-Ganito-ang-Damdamin-Ko_.mp3Bakit Ganito ang Damdamin Ko?Dick ZamoraThe Music of Dick Zamora2:46s47audio/mpeg100
- 17.http://188.8.131.52/wp-content/uploads/18-Paalam-sa-Kahapon.mp3Paalam sa KahaponDick ZamoraThe Music of Dick Zamora2:58s48audio/mpeg100
- 18.http://184.108.40.206/wp-content/uploads/19-Could-This-Be-Love_.mp3Could This Be Love?Dick ZamoraThe Music of Dick Zamora3:01s49audio/mpeg100
- 19.http://220.127.116.11/wp-content/uploads/20-Could-This-Be-Love_-UPSA.mp3Could This Be Love? (UPSA)Dick ZamoraThe Music of Dick Zamora3:51s50audio/mpeg100
- 22.http://18.104.22.168/wp-content/uploads/03-Sad-Time.mp3Sad TimeAloyanAloyan5:32s5audio/mpeg100
- 23.http://22.214.171.124/wp-content/uploads/04-Hello-World.mp3Hello WorldAloyanAloyan2:44s6audio/mpeg100
- 25.http://126.96.36.199/wp-content/uploads/06-Time-Will-Tell.mp3Time Will TellAloyanAloyan4:25s8audio/mpeg100
- 26.http://188.8.131.52/wp-content/uploads/07-Tango-Segue.mp3Tango SegueAloyanAloyan2:13s9audio/mpeg100
- 27.http://184.108.40.206/wp-content/uploads/08-Our-Guiding-Light.mp3Our Guiding LightAloyanAloyan2:41s10audio/mpeg100
- 28.http://220.127.116.11/wp-content/uploads/09-Epidemic-Segue.mp3Epidemic SegueAloyanAloyan3:24s11audio/mpeg100
- 30.http://18.104.22.168/wp-content/uploads/11-When-Problems.mp3When ProblemsAloyanAloyan4:53s13audio/mpeg100
- 32.http://22.214.171.124/wp-content/uploads/14-Could-It-Be.mp3Could It BeAloyanAloyan7:16s16audio/mpeg100
- 33.http://126.96.36.199/wp-content/uploads/15-Ay-Ay-song.mp3Ay-Ay songAloyanAloyan3:58s17audio/mpeg100
- 35.http://188.8.131.52/wp-content/uploads/17-Bagbagtu-2.mp3Bagbagtu 2AloyanAloyan4:21s19audio/mpeg100
- 36.http://184.108.40.206/wp-content/uploads/18-Gong-Dance.mp3Gong DanceAloyanAloyan3:38s20audio/mpeg100
- 39.http://220.127.116.11/wp-content/uploads/22-This-and-That.mp3This and ThatAloyanAloyan2:38s24audio/mpeg100
- 40.http://18.104.22.168/wp-content/uploads/23-True-to-Myself.mp3True to MyselfAloyanAloyan4:56s25audio/mpeg100
“Upsilon March Song”
Music by Fellow Ricardo Vicente S. Zamora’49
Lyrics by Fellow Manuel M. Martell ‘47
O this title we proudly bear,
Through tears and laughter,
We are one everytime, everywhere
The years cannot break us,
But will only seal
Weld us together,
Like true and tempered steel.
Oh hail to thee,
Our glorious fraternity
In victory and through defeat,
Loyal we shall be
Hail to thee,
Whatever might befall
We’re ever ready at thy call,
Upsilon Sigma Phi
FRATERNITY LOVE SONG
“When You’re Away”
Music by Fellow Ricardo Vicente S. Zamora ’49
Lyrics by Fellow Manuel M. Martell ‘47
Composed in 1950 as part of the Upsilon cavalcade “Aloyan,” the first full-length English play written by a Filipino
Love has a way of remem’bring
A million and one yesterdays
And love has a way of reliving
The mem’ries no joy can replace
When you’re away
There is no night or day
I long for you
The whole while through
I miss you so
My days have lost the magic glow
I knew when life was you
Ah love that song within my heart lives on
T’will be forever as the sun
And when all other loves have ceased and gone
T’will still be you my ever one
My heart will pray
For you in every rise and set of day
When you’re away
The modern history of the Philippines is deeply tied to that of its state university, the University of the Philippines; and the history of the University is intricately entwined with that of its oldest and most prestigious student organization: the Upsilon Sigma Phi.
No complete story of my country can be written without touching on the crucial roles that the University of the Philippines and the Upsilon Sigma Phi have played in shaping the Philippines – for both the University of the Philippines and the Upsilon Sigma Phi were committed to using the gift of knowledge to serve and transform society.
Born from just a few years apart, they were there when the Filipino people strove to build the key pillars of a sovereign nation. They helped draft the fundamental document that enshrined our deepest values and hopes for the future as a democratic country.
Today they stand boldly on the vast frontiers of a profoundly changed world, of a deeply transformed nation. And I am sure they will do the university and the fraternity proud.
Ponciano G.A. Mathay ’48
Upsilon Sigma Phi
Illustrious Fellow, 1952